Child welfare at risk
1. A German boy is taken by his parents to Spain. In this way, the parents are trying to avoid a withdrawal or restriction of their custody rights. The youth welfare office wants the social services which are in charge of the case in Spain to be informed about the case history so that they can take measures for the protection of the child.
2. A Turkish girl is received into care after having been mistreated by her mother. She wishes to return to live with her father in Turkey, from whom she had been separated years ago.
When the welfare of a child is endangered, the measures required for the protection of the child must be taken at the place where the child is, regardless of the child’s nationality. In order to be able to decide in the best interest of the child, it is necessary in many cases to obtain or provide information about the case history, family members, or about the situation in the country of destination.
ISS German Branch
- forwards information relevant to child protection to Germany, or from Germany to another country.
- provides information on the case history of the child.
- offers counselling before a planned relocation of a child and assists with obtaining an evaluation of the situation in the other country.