Grenzen überwinden,

    Kinder schützen,

Familien verbinden.

Out-of-home placement / guardianship

1. The mother of a 1-year-old Polish girl has died. She was a single parent. The legal guardian appointed by the court wants to take up contact with the child’s grandparents in Poland to find out if the child can be placed with them. Besides, he wants to know how the guardianship will be continued in Poland.

2. A German family plans to move with their foster child to Italy. The youth welfare office asks to clarify if the foster home can be supervised in Italy.

In many cases, a guardian, curator or custodian needs information from another country in order to be able to prepare a decision for the child entrusted to him or her. International cooperation may be required for children living with a foster family or in a residential facility, especially when they have to move abroad or want to resume contact with relatives.

ISS German Branch

  • makes contact with the appropriate agencies abroad and obtains the information required. In case of referrals from abroad, ISS German Branch asks the local youth welfare office for cooperation.
  • coordinates the efforts to provide counselling and guidance for the persons involved.